Friday 14 September 2012

CALICO and a Business Sustainability Function

My boss invited me to join him at a Business Sustainability Expo, an expo and meeting for local business representatives. Unfortunately he wasn't able to go at the last minute and nobody else could go with me so I went all by my lonesome. Even though I was the youngest person in the room by at least 15 years and don't own a business I had a great time. I met some really nice people and learnt some new facts and figures. One thing that really did surprise me was how much people DON'T know. Because I study sustainability and its my interest generally I forget that most everyday people don't actually know the small changes that they should make to be more sustainable or what is actually a threat to sustainability, to me its just obvious and second nature. Tonight was so amazing and filled my heart with joy to hear a room full of business people and every day people wanting to make a change to the way they operate because they care what happens to the future of the earth. Sometimes its easy to feel overwhelmed with doubt and feel like your the only one that cares or even knows whats going on. So overall I am so happy I went along and encourage everyone to check out the Town of Cambridge's Sustainability expo this September!


I want to make a special mention about a lovely man that I met at the expo, he was the first person to come and say hi to me after I was standing alone not sure what to do. He was telling me about his business, Calico, I think it is the most wonderful idea! Visit Calico website for the full details and purchase their products. The idea behind Calico (Calories In - Calories Out) is a fitness program connected to your iPhone, as you walk or run you accumulate points, after you reach a certain amount of points, you get a reward in the form of discounts or offers from local businesses. There are certain parks set up around Perth with totems that you have to pass, and the GPS system connects to your phone and pedometer to calculate your calories lost, distanced walked, and points made.
I think this is a wonderful way to encourage people to get out there an exercise, with real life rewards and links to your friends progress you can compete with friends via the iPhone app. 
If you are an owner of a business and want to sign up your business to give away rewards for people in your community, and get advertising and exposure, get on to http://www.calico.com.au/ and be a part of this great business opportunity.

Definitely check out these two great sites and find out how you can be more sustainable and get out there getting fit for summer!! :D


I hope everyone has been well and happy :D. I've been trying to write blogs recently but I just haven't had anything to write about hehehe.

Thanks for reading!!

<3 Em



 






No comments:

Post a Comment