Monday 7 May 2012

Phone Etiquette

We need official, universal, mobile phone etiquette!!
If there is one thing that drives me nuts, its people being totally disrespectful when using a mobile phone. So here is a list of my top mobile phone inappropriate situations:


1. DO NOT answer your phone, or be on your phone if you want service!
The person serving you isn't your slave! Respect your server, they are
doing you a favour, so get off the phone for 2 mins (its not that hard...really!)






2. DO NOT answer your phone or text at the table!
Or while your are sharing a meal with anyone, anywhere.
You are there to be with that person, if the person on the other end of the phone is
more important than your present company, why aren't you out for dinner with them??

I would also like to add if you are in a restaurant, not only are you disrespecting your date, but
you are guaranteed to be annoying all the other restaurant patrons. 






3. DO NOT talk loudly when using your phone on public transport!
Being a bus and train catcher this is particularly irritating to me. When someone
gets on their phone and starts talking so loud you would think they were at a rock concert, and then
they proceed to talk about all kinds of details about their life that the rest of the passengers
really didn't want to listen to, especially after a long day at work. I think this image
from Transperth is very fitting!




4. DO NOT use your phone in a cinema or theatre!
For starters, why did you pay for a ticket to sit there on your phone, you can do that at home for free?? Secondly, don't think you can hide that bright blue light that is illuminating you and the people next to you! Thirdly, those people next to you haven't complained because they are too polite!
Get off the phone, or go home.





5. DO NOT wear your bluetooth earpiece and then talk as if your talking to me!
a) You look like a fool, everyone knows it!
b) The only respectable place for bluetooth devices is when you genuinely cant use your hands!
ie. When you're driving.
c) Don't walk around and talk to yourself, and look at people (unless you want to look crazy, then
go ahead!)


 I know that there are many more situations in which phone use is just down right rude, but I'll leave
that for you to mention in a comment :) I'll finish with this picture, as I think it is perfect, and I
wish I had a pad of these in my bag so I could hand them out as needed!



 Be a respectful, responsible phone user!

Em



1 comment:

  1. TOTALLY AGREED WITH THE BLUETOOTH ONE!!!!

    please dont think its cool to have an earpiece stuck in ur ear while ure walking on the street. ITS NOT. if u dont need ur hands anymore, donate them, dont act like u dont have a hand to hold ur damn phone.

    i often think that they are talking to me. their face is on me, their eyes are looking at me but when i talk to them, they always put their point finger on me indicating 'one minute due' WHAT THE F*CK!!! be polite people.

    treat people as u wanna be treated, basic principle in good social life.
    peace

    ps. its me honey

    ReplyDelete